Saturday, May 26, 2012

Copy Cat Sat - Nailside

So of course most people have probably seen all of the cool tutorials that Nailside posts, but I just had to try out her clouds technique. They are so cute! Since I wanted to try out some of the new polishes that I have, I decided to use a couple of my new Julep polishes, and my beloved Zoya Wednesday-love this color! Check it out!
Cloud Manicure
I started with Julep Mandy, which is a bright pinky-red. I will say that as with the other Julep I tried, the application with this color was not pleasant. You would think that for a polish that they charge $12, it would be awesome, but it really isn't any better than other polishes I have tried. In fact, it was worse than some of my cheaper polishes like NYC and Wet n Wild, which are actually pretty good polishes in my opinion. Happily I only paid a penny for mine, so I can't really complain.

After that, I started my first line of 'clouds' using Julep Jessica. This is a nice sky blue and goes on in one flawless coat. I have no complaints about this one other than the fact that I have a hard time getting the right amount of paint on the brush. I think it's because of the shape of the bottle, but it kept wanting to suddenly make giant drips, so I had to swipe it on the rim of the bottle lots of times before I got the right amount of polish on the brush. It went on really nice and smooth and is wonderfully opaque. Out of the three Julep polishes I got, this is by far the best one. And it's named after me, so what's not to love?! :) Here is how it looked at the second stage.
Cloud Manicure
Here it is with the flash
Cloud Manicure
Without the flash
Last, I swiped on my second set of 'clouds' with my favorite new Zoya color called Wednesday. Love love love this color! It is so pretty, and it went on like a dream just like all my Zoya polishes. After that I added some topcoat, and that was it. These were fun to do, and I can see myself using the same design in the future with all different colors. Hope you enjoyed my copy cat mani!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, great job and I LOVE your color choices!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - this one was fun! I spent a long time picking out those colors, so I'm glad it's appreciated. :)

      Delete
  2. Great mani - color combo is awesome as is the clean crisp lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was the part that took longest - I had to find some colors that would layer over each other well. I knew Wednesday would layer over a light color ok, and I had just gotten this Julep and it is super opaque, so my decision was made. :)

      Delete
  3. perfect - if not for the watermark i'd have assumed it was a nailside mani! great job! and great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so in love with these nails - they turned out even better than I thought they would. :)

      Delete
  4. I have yet to try this look I think my nails are to pointy for a cloud mani lol :(. But I love the way it looks on you plus it's a super pretty color combo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this probably wouldn't work with pointy nails. I have to keep mine shaped like this. When I try to go pointy, they just break like crazy. Just remember there is stuff you can do with pointy nails that wouldn't work on mine. :)

      Delete
  5. Did you freehand the "clouds"? I tried this and had zero luck getting the shape right. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did freehand them. I actually used the tutorial from Nailside to help me. It can be found here: http://nailside.blogspot.com/2012/01/tutorial-freehand-cloud-design.html

      It's important to let the polish drip onto your nail so you get a nice round top. Then you just grab the polish from the bottom of the drip with your brush and pull the color downward. I think that was the hardest part. I actually messed it up a couple times, but I was able to salvage it.

      Delete
  6. wow! This mani looks amazing!
    Perfectly mstched colours.
    I folloe You :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I truly appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, or even ask questions here as well. I try to respond to everyone within a day or two, and would love to hear what you think about my blog in general, the nail art, or any suggestions you may have.